Google is often touted as one of the best paying tech companies in the world, but how much money can you actually make there?
We know a software engineer could be offered $353,000, and that a VP of engineering can get $475,000.
Unsurprisingly, a lot of engineers at Google make the big bucks, but many other roles can expect to land you in the six figures. For example, a corporate counsel role last year was offered $290,000.
While Google doesn’t like to talk openly about salaries, all American companies must disclose how much they intend to pay foreign workers when applying for their visas. Business Insider has sifted through thousands of visa applications to discover how much Google values many of its roles.
This piece was originally published in September 2020, but we recently obtained a fresh batch of salary data from the first quarter of 2021 and have included those numbers in our story.
The new data include an SVP role with an annual salary of $650,000. That was filled by Fiona Cicconi, who joined as Google’s head of people operations in January.
Note that the data don’t cover every Google position – only jobs for which the company has applied for visas. Also bear in mind that Google only discloses information on base compensation, so this excludes stock grants which can increase the total compensation significantly.
The majority of Google’s roles disclosed are based its home of California or in New York, but it’s also offered positions in Texas, Washington, Colorado, and Illinois. For specific individual salaries we’ve included the location.
Once you’re done, take a look at Business Insider’s big tech salary database, featuring data on how much Apple, Tesla, Amazon, and other companies pay their employees.
Engineering, software, and data: Google software engineers are being offered up to $353,000. One engineering VP was offered $475,000.
- Vice president of engineering in California: $475,000
- Principal software engineer in California: $329,000
- Senior software engineer in California: $190,549
- Software engineer in California: $100,000 – $353,000
- Software engineer in New York: $91,364 – $295,000
- Engineering manager in California: $145,420 – $260,000
- Director of software and site reliability engineering in California: $389,000
- Group product manager in California: $250,000
- Privacy engineer in California: $112,000 – $184,000
- Product design engineer in California: $109,000 – $153,000
Research scientist: $132-000 – $230,000
- Senior research scientist in California: $205,000
- Research scientist in California: $132,000 – $268,000
- Research scientist in New York: $145,000 – $230,000
- Research director in California: $370,000
Program manager: $100,000 – $200,000
- Program manager in California: $102,000 – $200,000
- Program manager in New York: $100,000 – $159,000
Hardware, networking, manufacturing: A hardware engineer in California was offered $243,000
- Silicon engineer in California: $120,000 – $187,000
- Hardware engineer in California: $110,000 – $243,000
- Hardware reliability engineer in California: $109,000 – $173,600
- Mechanical engineer in California: $106,000 – $175,000
- Network engineer in California: $86,500 – $220,000
- Manufacturing engineer in California: $112,000 – $195,000
User experience and design: A UX designer in California was offered $250,000. A director got $340,000.
- Director, design and UX in California: $340,000
- UX researcher in California: $102,000 – $206,000
- UX engineer in California: $116,000 – $206,000
- UX design manager in California: $278,000
- UX designer in California: $120,000 – $250,000
- Interaction designer in California: $103,000 –$233,700
Logistics, analysis, marketing, and sales: A global supply chain manager was offered $210,000
- Business analyst in California: $93,000 – $163,000
- VP of global technology partnerships in California: $450,000
- Global supply chain manager in California: $210,000
- Business operations associate in California: $137,000
- Product marketing manager in California: $110,000 – $315,000
- Product marketing manager in New York: $118,000 – $197,000
- Operations analyst in California: $114,000 – $137,000
- Financial analyst in California: $100,000 – $198,000
- Data analyst in California: $100,000 – $162,000
Legal, human resources, and other: An SVP of people operations was offered $650,000.
- SVP, people operations in California: $650,000
- Senior director of sustainable development in California: $398,000
- Senior counsel in California: $303,000
- Corporate counsel in California: $265,000 – $290,000
- Corporate counsel in New York: $99,000 – $315,000
- Policy specialist in California: $155,000 – $165,000
NOW WATCH: Why wasabi is so expensive
Hugh Langley and Alex Nicoll June 16, 2021 at 08:03PM